Wednesday, April 6, 2011

'The Word' for the Day, Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible"--Jesus Christ

I had always believed growing up as I did that God can do anything, that miracles occur regularly, and that such things are not really out of the ordinary at all, given that events constantly occur all over the world that are antithetical to the best wisdom and knowledge that man possesses.

But it was not until I began reading Norman Vincent Peale in college that I was struck with the stark realization that the impossible is made possible on a personal basis.  I needed that message at the time.

I worked my way through college, and it wasn't easy.  Studying came hard for me, and thus, I had to dig deep for every single good grade I received.  Many nights I would be up all night long working on a paper, or reading, or doing research, only to get dressed and go to class with no sleep.  On many occasions I did not think I had it in me to complete the task.  I was sure I was doomed to failure.

But then I picked up Dr. Peale's "The Power of Positive Thinking" (which he had intended to be entitled 'The Power of Faith" but got overruled by his publisher).  The book helped me to grasp the notion that in the power of Jesus Christ a human being can do what he/she thinks is impossible.

I often said that Peale got me through college.

The concept is true.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  This Biblical statement encapsulates the faith that can be ours, if we believe.

Today's song is Who Can Do Anything by George Younce and the Cathedral Quartet.

No comments:

Post a Comment