Saturday, April 16, 2011

Faces

"Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies..." -- from Proverbs 31

Today is my Mother's birthday.  We lost her to leukemia in 1993.  I do not wish to become overly sentimental at this point, so I will suffice it to say that I miss her to this very day, and she came as close as anyone I have ever known in portraying the values of 'the virtuous woman' as described in Proverbs.

She was a compassionate woman, full of faith and total devotion to the Lord.  Yet she was strong and steadfast, immovable in her beliefs and her stand for what she felt was right.  She reached out to the poor and hungry of her own free will, regularly taking food, clothing, and other items personally to those she knew were in need.  She was a hard and tireless worker, not only at her job but in the home.  I have vivid memories of her activity, and it was always late at night before she sat down.

Those who knew her were well-aware of her faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.  In fact, it was impossible to know my Mother without knowing this central, key aspect of her identity.  She encouraged those who were unbelievers to come to the Lord.

I have been but a mere diminutive shadow of what my Mother was.  She taught me well.  But I have not always been a very good keeper of her legacy.  But I can assure you her legacy lives on in my heart, and I still strive to be the human being who lives by the values she instilled in me.

But I am not the only one.  It still surprises me to hear various people tell me to this day of the deep impact my Mother had on their lives--people I would have never believed would be thusly influenced.  If only she could see the many 'Faces' of people she helped, touched, encouraged, and led to Christ.  We never know how much influence one life can have on so many.

My Mother's face is forever etched in my memory.  And she is one of the 'Faces' I wish to see first when my time comes to cross to the other side where pain is gone and where eternal joy wipes away all tears.

Who are the 'Faces' that have made such a lasting impression on your life?  And image the many faces of those who are now being influence by you, for good or ill.  People ARE watching.  What kind of legacy do you wish to leave behind?

Our song today is by Greater Vision, and the song is entitled, simply, 'Faces.'  I hope you are blessed by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment