Tuesday, September 6, 2011

There Has to Be a Song

Gospel music mogul Bob Benson once stated, "There has to be a song."

Indeed.

Too many dark, lonely nights, too many painful events, too many days filled with hopelessness and despair, and too many memories of dear loved ones who have passed from the scene necessitate a song. A song is like a balm to the weary soul, giving utterance to the feelings deeply buried within.

When Paul and Silas were bound and jailed for preaching the Gospel, the Bible says that they sang songs to the Lord all night long.

My grandmother suffered from a terminal illness for 7 long years--an illness that eventually took away her ability to breath. Many a night when she needed oxygen, she would get up, put the tube to her nose, and begin to sing. She said it was a great help to her in her suffering.

On the day of the 9/11 attacks I awoke with a song running through my mind. I did not know at the time why I would be thinking about that song, replaying it over and over again in my head. It did not take but a few hours for me to find out. The song was of great comfort and strength to me on that horrific day.

Here are part of the lyrics:

There is never a day so dreary
There is never a night so long
But the soul that is trusting Jesus
Will somewhere find a song.

Wonderful, wonderful Jesus
In the heart He implanteth a song
A song of deliverance, of courage, of strength
In the heart He implanteth a song.    

2 comments: