Monday, August 1, 2011

Don't Work? Then You Don't Eat

2 Thessalonians 3:10

King James Version (KJV)

 10For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

In spite of the fact that I suffer from a debilitating condition that could qualify me for disability, I choose instead to work 3 jobs in an attempt to scrap together enough money to maintain my meager existence.

This is my choice, and I do it for a moral, ethical, and spiritual purpose.

I don't believe in living off the government dole. And I believe the Bible when it says that if anyone would not work, then neither should he eat.

That statement alone, if followed in America, would solve 90% of the debt stemming from our entitlement programs which exist only on borrowed money--mainly from China. No, our politicians did not put your SS contributions in a locked box. They robbed it to pay for their out-of-control spending. Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are called 'unfunded liabilities' because every single penny that is paid to recipients is borrowed from other nations.

Granted, there are cases where the social safety net serves a valid purpose. If a person absolutely cannot work at all, in any way, then I am not going to begrudge their receiving disability payments. And I do believe that given that all of us are forced to put money into Social Security, the government owes it back to us. The fact that politicians squandered it is not my problem. It is theirs, and realistically, they should be forced to pay for their crimes against the citizens--in jail.

Are there better ways to take care of the sick and needy, and elderly? You bet! And the fact that America is flat broke and is borrowing even trillions more to pay for services will only mean that the day of reckoning is coming when there is no more money to pay to senior adults and the permanently disabled.

What, then?

That is why we need a different plan than we have currently. I have some rather strong views on what is needed, but I will refrain from opining here about that so as to avoid becoming too political on this ministry site.

But just know that according to the God of all the ages, human beings are expected to work for their keep. And those who refuse merely because they don't want to do so should pay the heavy consequence of starving.

Song: 'We'll Work Till Jesus Comes' featuring the Gaither Homecoming Choir and my good buddy, the legendary baritone of The Florida Boys, Glen Allred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment