Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Voices calling me...

Not all of the "voices" one hears within indicate psychosis. Only a doctor can determine such a thing by making a definitive diagnosis. Other "voices," however, can be quite legitimate, particularly when one is speaking symbolically. Often Christians will describe their spiritual experience of being led by God in symbolic terms, such as, "God told me to do thus and so..." or "God spoke to me..."

Naturally, even those "voices" need to be checked out by scripture. God speaks primarily through His word, the Bible. God is not going to tell someone to do anything that is contrary to His will and His Word. But if our experience is consistent with what the Bible teaches about God's guidance, then those "voices" within are not to be ignored.

A song came to mind the other day that loosely illustrates this concept. The composer of the song obviously was so deeply in tune with God and His will that he sensed things that many people just never quite get. So close was his walk with God, in fact, that he sensed his time on this earth would be drawing to a close in the near future.

I have thought about this song often since I first heard it in the mid 1970s. It is an old Florida Boys song, and if memory serves me it did not list the composer's name but was in the "public domain." It has the sound and feel of a haunting bluegrass melody, an old Gospel song in country style. On the Florida Boys recording, the only accompaniment they used were the bass guitar and one acoustic lead guitar. This made the words even more gripping and moving.

I don't necessarily think I am on my way to glory very soon, but I do find myself thinking about the voices of people I miss who are already there. Sometimes it seems I hear those voices clear as a bell, although it has been years, even decades since they walked on this earth. The fact that one day I will be with them in a place the Savior has prepared for us is not a sad thing. It is a glorious thing.

Here are the lyrics to the song, "Voices Calling Me."

I hear voices far off yonder calling me
Voice that I used to hear they seem to be
Then I look around and see there's no one so it must be
Voices yonder, up in glory, calling me.

Calling me, calling me, voices in that far off somewhere calling me
One of these days I'll off and fly, then I can answer here am I
I hear voices, up in glory, calling me.

Maybe friends who used to sing along with me
Who have now gone on and crossed that rolling sea
Friends from every land and sea
Joining in glad symphony
I hear voices, up in glory, calling me.

Calling me, calling me, voices in that far off somewhere calling me
One of these days I'll off and fly, then I can answer here am I
I hear voices, up in glory, calling me.

Soon I'll leave you here and join that singing band
Praising Jesus in that far off gloryland
Soon I'll spread my wings and fly
Bid my friends on earth good bye
I hear voices, up in glory, calling me.

Calling me, calling me, voices in that far off somewhere calling me
One of these days I'll off and fly, then I can answer here am I
I hear voices, up in glory, calling me....

(Special thanks to Les Beasley, Glen Allred, Buddy Liles, Derrell Stewart, and Jerry Trammell who blessed us with the vocals on  this song).

No comments:

Post a Comment